Buckle Up for the Bourbon Belt
Bourbon whiskey, or just Bourbon, is a unique product of the United States. Bourbon gets its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky, where it’s been produced since 1820.
Besides being the longest-producing state in the bourbon biz, Kentucky also has more aging bourbon barrels than people – more than 5 million barrels are hard at work distilling something delicious at any given time. 95% of the world’s bourbon is distilled right here in Kentucky.
Anyone can follow the Bourbon Trail and visit the source of their favorite hooch – many of the distilleries in Kentucky have tours. The angel’s share has evaporated, but you can get yourself some of the devil’s cut – the bourbon soaked into the barrels – in distillery tasting rooms.
What it Takes to be Bourbon
- Made the United States
- Aged in brand new charred oak barrels
- Made from a grain mixture of at least 51% corn
- Bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol)
- Distilled to no more than 160 proof
- Barreled (put into the barrel) at no more than 125 proof
- Straight bourbon must be aged at least 2 years
We use authentic, distillery used bourbon barrel heads to craft our products. Learn more about the marking, char and how they work.