When the barrel heads arrive in our studio they are charred and bourbon soaked – which means you can still smell smokey whiskey notes when you open your package. We prepare them for their journey by tightening the loose slats, adding a solid wood backing board to hold them firmly in place, then sanding and refinishing the top down so that it is clean, flat, and perfect for signatures. Once you give us the go-ahead, we engrave your design into the wood with our 150w laser and finish it off with a clear fixative that will make sure your guests’ messages don’t smear.
The laser will give your design varying depth and the contrast of the burned/sanded wood will give it a dynamic look perfect for your wedding, and later, your home.
Here’s how it works:
- We reclaim a prime barrel head from a genuine, distillery used bourbon barrel.
- We clean, dry, and sand it down until it’s bright and smooth – perfect for signatures.
- We laser engrave your custom design – permanently burning in all the details.
- A clear fixative is added that “holds” your signatures in place – your guests can write on the wood without worrying about the ink bleeding, running, or fading.
- We pack it up and ship it to you via the fastest premium shipping method